Skip to main content

Base makeup: My everday 'flawless' foundation routine

 When it comes to base makeup I like my skin to look flawless and matte. These are the products that I use in order to achieve the desired look. Whenever I typically go out this is my foundation routine.
This look may seem a bit too much just for during the day but this is how I like my base makeup to look.  For a 'night time' look I simply highlight my face much more and apply a generous amount of foundation.
Most products featured are Estee Lauder just because I am a massive Estee Lauder fan especially base makeup.
In this post I will be talking about why I like the product, how I apply it aswell as pros and cons.
 
 Smashbox photo finish primer
This is my favourite primer, possibly of all time? As I haven't used anything like this
I apply this product using my fingers.
Pros

Foundation goes on smoothly
Stops shine coming through
Only need to apply a small amount
Foundation lasts longer
Easy to travel with
Cons
Silicone based (some foundations don't apply nicely over silicone based primers)
Pricey £25.50

 Estee Lauder Illuminating perfecting primer
This is not a necessary step. I only do this step if I feel as if my skin is dry or is dull looking. I apply this primer or the Smashbox photo finish primer.
I apply this product using my fingers.
Pros
Makes your skin look radiant
If you find double wear heavy this primer makes it lighter and more natural looking
Foundation applies smoothly ontop
Doesn't feel creasy
No obvious sparkle
Cons
Not ideal if you have oily skin
Dries fast so you need to apply it in sections on your face
 
MUA Pro base
Peach
I always apply this before I apply my concealer. As you can see I have used this product quite a lot and I when I run out I will repurchase it.
I apply this with the Real Techniques base shadow brush.
Pros
I use this to counteract any dark circles under my eyes. This product gets rid of them, making my dark circles look less obvious.
Cons
Needs setting with powder to stop it from creasing
 
 Collection Lasting perfection concealer
1 Fair.
I love this product for highlighting under my eyes (I apply this in a triangular shape). I then apply it in the centre of my forehead, down my nose, top of my lip and the middle of my chin
I apply this product from the applicator and blend out with a random angled brush.
Pros
Hides dark circles
Hides blemishes
Blends well
Doesn't crease under the eyes
Medium/full coverage
Cons
If you have dry skin under your eyes it might become cakey
Not a wide selection of colour ranges
Writing rubs off the tube easily
 
Estee Lauder High cover concealer
1N Extra light
I apply this concealer on the inner part of my under eyes to make sure no darkness is visible. I also apply it on any blemishes etc.
I apply this using a random dome shaped small brush on my under eye area.
On blemishes I use detailer brush.
Pros
Easy for travel as it comes with a mirror etc
Full coverage
Hides darkness
Hides blemishes
Good shade range choices for all skin tones
Isn't cakey
Doesn't crease under the eyes
Hides blemishes easily
Only need to apply a small amount
Cons
If you have very dry skin it may become cakey
 
Estee Lauder Double wear foundation
1N2 ECRU
This is the best foundation I have ever tried, It is my holy grail foundation as its full coverage, lasts all day on the skin and matte. I have a full review of it here.
I apply this product with Real Techniques stippling brush
Pros
Full coverage
Lasts all day
Doesn't become cakey
Good for oil control
Makes your face look flawless
Good colour selection for all different skin colours
Bottle lasts months
 Cons
Doesn't come with a pump
Glass bottle, so be careful if you travel with it
 
Estee Lauder
Chic to cheek powder.
This powder is discontinued but you can still get it online. I use this powder to set my under eyes. It also brightens that area aswell without looking cakey.
I apply this using Real Techniques setting brush.
Pros
Perfect for highlighting under your eyes to add brightness
Sets under eye concealer
Gets rid of any discolouration
Doesn't settle into fine lines
Doesn't make your face look cakey
Ideal for travelling as it comes with a mirror.
Cons
The fact that it is discontinued
 
Bare Minerals Perfecting veil powder
Light to medium
 This is a new addition to my base makeup routine. I really like this powder as it sets my foundation, keeps my face matte and blurs any perfections etc.
I apply this using Nanshy contouring brush.
Pros
'Blurs' my face to make it look more flawless
Adds slight coverage
Stops shine
Easy to travel with it as it comes with a powder sponge, and mirror
Product lasts ages (I've had and used this everyday for months without hitting pan)
Cons
Would be better if it came with an actual brush not a sponge
If you have very oily skin, this product may not be for you.
 
I hope you have enjoyed this post. How do you achieve your flawless foundation routine?
 
How to contact me
Twitter: _chloehx_
Instagram: _chloehx_

Comments

  1. Thanks that some good advice, I might need to consider changing my primer. Only problem is that price for primer a bit steep at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Primer can make such a difference to your makeup routine.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everything 5 pounds lookbook

Everything 5 pounds is an online retailer that sell clothes, shoes, jackets etc all for £5. There are so many choices on the website to pick from. I was given the opportunity to pick 9 items from the website to feature on my blog. With that I've decided to create a lookbook of all of the clothes. I am really happy with them all and ideal to dress either up or down. I decided to pick 7 dresses as they are mainly what I wear and are really versatile. Shoe wise I went with a classic black pair of heels and a black wedge.
For Reference I am 5ft 4 so the length of the dresses will differ on you depending on your height. All the dresses that I ordered are a size 8. All of the dresses are true to size and accurate. Same with the shoes they are true to size.
All the clothes in this post should still be available to buy online. The clothes on Everything 5 pounds tend to go out of stock quickly.
3/4 Sleeve Textured Dress This is one of my favourite dresses that I picked as I love the colour, s…

Estee Lauder Double Wear Review

Estee Lauder Double Wear is my holy grail foundation. I have used it for years and it lasts really well on the skin whilst still giving you that 'flawless' finish. This is my ideal foundation as its full coverage, lasts all day on the skin, looks flawless and is good for shine control. It is also the UK's no 1 foundation.

Claims
15 hour staying power
Flawless all day
Stays fresh and looks natural through heat, humidity and nonstop activity
Won't change colour, smudge or come off on clothes
Feels lightweight and comfortable
Medium/buildable coverage
SPF 10

Shade Range
There are 29 different shade range available and they are split up into three different categories warm, cool and neutral undertones.
Warm shades:1W1 Bone, 1W2 Sand, 2W1 Dawn, 2W2 Rattan, 3W1 Tawny, 3W2 Cashew, 4W1 Honey Bronze, 4W2 Toasty Coffee, 4W3 Henna, 5W2 Rich Caramel, 6W1 Sandalwood
Cool shades: 1C1 Cool Bone, 2C1 Pure Beige, 2C2 Pale Almond, 2C3 Fresco, 2C4 Ivory Rose, 3C2 Pebble, 4C1 Outdoor Beige, 5C1 …

Max Factor: Smooth Miracle Primer and Miracle foundation review

I was kindly sent these products to review
Max Factor is such an iconic brand that has been around for years. I can remember Nana using it and even my Mam. When I got the chance to try out some Max Factor makeup I was really happy (infact I screamed inside) When I opened the package I was really happy with what was inside. The Smooth Miracle Primer and Miracle Touch Foundation. Both products claim to smooth the skin textures. Also, these products are advertised on TV and the models skin looks flawless. Anything that claims to make your skin look flawless and smooth I will try. As you all know I love a flawless, smooth and full coverage base.
Smooth Miracle Primer I 'secretly' hoped that this would have been one of the products in the package, as I really wanted to try it out. So when I saw this product I was thrilled. The bottom picture above is the primer using a small pump and on the right (which you can't see) it is blended out. I applied the primer all over my face and I…