Skip to main content

Truth about being an only child

 
 
One of my aims for 2016 was to do lifestyle posts on my blog. Todays post will be what its like being an only child. When people find out that you're an only child they often have misconceptions about you e.g spoilt.
 
 
Being an only child
 
People will always think you are a child/baby of the family
I am 19 years old and yet I still get treated like a child. I am seen as the 'baby' of the family regardless of the fact I am independent, can do things for myself etc. People will always refer to you as being an 'only child' throughout your life.
 
People often wonder did you have a lot of imaginary friends
I personally didn't only because I was surrounded my people growing up e.g my mam, nana etc and they would often play with me. I also had family pets growing up aswell and often they were my friend.
 
People think you are spoilt
I am lucky enough to get the things that I want for my birthday, Christmas etc and I am grateful for this but I don't take it for granted. The reason why I get as much as I do is because I am the 'only child' therefore my parents can spend more money on me. If I had a sibling this would not be the case. I personally don't think I act spoilt as its not a nice characteristic to have.
 
People think you like being centre of attention
I don't find this to be true especially in social situations. If I am in a room full of people I can't think of anything worse than being centre of attention.
 
Parents are over protective
This is the case with me my mam used to constantly text me to ask if I got to wherever I was going if I arrived safely.  Also before I left the house she used to give me the chat about being safe etc whilst out.
 
You are surrounded by adults all the time
Growing up I was the youngest person in the family. I was never around children my own age until I started nursery. As a result of this I found that I got on with 'adults' a lot better and preferred being around them compared to children my own age or younger.
Now most peoples reaction when they see a cute baby is to go straight over and interact with the baby. I'm not like that at all.
 
Dogs/pets become your best friend
Ever since I was born I have always been brought up around dogs. I can't remember when I haven't had a dog. Growing up the dog was always my best friend. I can remember actually talking to the dog (I was really young) and used to play with the dog. The dog was always there for you to interact with.
 
People think you are lonely
Growing up I was never lonely as I was always surrounded by adults and they used to interact with me. I also had my pet dogs to keep me company aswell.
 
You think a lot of things to yourself
I often end up thinking about a lot of things and what I want to happen.
 
You don't have to share your parents
Growing up (and even now) I spend a lot of time with my parents. I have never had to share them with anyone else or compete for attention. Even now me and my Mam often go out on regular shopping trips together etc.
 
More pressure to be successful
Being an only child you are expected to be successful as you don't want to let your parents down as they only have you. You feel the pressure to do well during your school career etc. In my opinion this is not a bad thing as they help you to be successful and reach the best possible targets/goals/grades  for yourself.
 
Your parents are more willing to do this for you
If I want something doing I know my parents will do it for me e.g if I'm in a rush to get ready and I don't have time to put things away by the time I come back home my Mam will have tidied up for me.
 
You never had to share stuff at home
You don't have to share your room, clothes (if you had a sister etc). You knew that nobody would come and try to damage your things.
 
I hope you have enjoyed reading this post. Let me know if you think I have left anything off this list. Are you an only child? If so do you agree with these statements.
 

Comments

  1. I hate being the centre of attention too! Do you find that you don't always want company too? When I was little I used to often send my friends home as they got on my nerves after a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sometimes I just want to be left alone to be in my own space.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everything 5 pounds lookbook

Everything 5 pounds is an online retailer that sell clothes, shoes, jackets etc all for £5. There are so many choices on the website to pick from. I was given the opportunity to pick 9 items from the website to feature on my blog. With that I've decided to create a lookbook of all of the clothes. I am really happy with them all and ideal to dress either up or down. I decided to pick 7 dresses as they are mainly what I wear and are really versatile. Shoe wise I went with a classic black pair of heels and a black wedge.
For Reference I am 5ft 4 so the length of the dresses will differ on you depending on your height. All the dresses that I ordered are a size 8. All of the dresses are true to size and accurate. Same with the shoes they are true to size.
All the clothes in this post should still be available to buy online. The clothes on Everything 5 pounds tend to go out of stock quickly.
3/4 Sleeve Textured Dress This is one of my favourite dresses that I picked as I love the colour, s…

Max Factor: Smooth Miracle Primer and Miracle foundation review

I was kindly sent these products to review
Max Factor is such an iconic brand that has been around for years. I can remember Nana using it and even my Mam. When I got the chance to try out some Max Factor makeup I was really happy (infact I screamed inside) When I opened the package I was really happy with what was inside. The Smooth Miracle Primer and Miracle Touch Foundation. Both products claim to smooth the skin textures. Also, these products are advertised on TV and the models skin looks flawless. Anything that claims to make your skin look flawless and smooth I will try. As you all know I love a flawless, smooth and full coverage base.
Smooth Miracle Primer I 'secretly' hoped that this would have been one of the products in the package, as I really wanted to try it out. So when I saw this product I was thrilled. The bottom picture above is the primer using a small pump and on the right (which you can't see) it is blended out. I applied the primer all over my face and I…

Estee Lauder Double Wear Review

Estee Lauder Double Wear is my holy grail foundation. I have used it for years and it lasts really well on the skin whilst still giving you that 'flawless' finish. This is my ideal foundation as its full coverage, lasts all day on the skin, looks flawless and is good for shine control. It is also the UK's no 1 foundation.

Claims
15 hour staying power
Flawless all day
Stays fresh and looks natural through heat, humidity and nonstop activity
Won't change colour, smudge or come off on clothes
Feels lightweight and comfortable
Medium/buildable coverage
SPF 10

Shade Range
There are 29 different shade range available and they are split up into three different categories warm, cool and neutral undertones.
Warm shades:1W1 Bone, 1W2 Sand, 2W1 Dawn, 2W2 Rattan, 3W1 Tawny, 3W2 Cashew, 4W1 Honey Bronze, 4W2 Toasty Coffee, 4W3 Henna, 5W2 Rich Caramel, 6W1 Sandalwood
Cool shades: 1C1 Cool Bone, 2C1 Pure Beige, 2C2 Pale Almond, 2C3 Fresco, 2C4 Ivory Rose, 3C2 Pebble, 4C1 Outdoor Beige, 5C1 …